Omnidirectional Mobile Robot with Steerable Omnidriectional Wheels
- Kyung-Seok Byun (Ph.D), Jeong-Keun Kim (Master), Young-Min Kim (Master)
- Research Results
- Omnidirectional Mobile Robot with Steerable Omnidirectional Wheels (OMR-SOW)
- Patent 1: Omni-directional wheel with passive rollers, Patent No. 0418427(2004.01.31)
- Patent 2: Omni-directional vehicle with continuous variable transmission, Patent No. 0482000(2005.03.31)
- Paper 1: Kyung-Seok Byun, Jae-Bok Song, Design and Construction of Continuous Alternate Wheels for an Omni-Directional Mobile Robot, Journal of Robotic Systems, Wiley Europe, Vol. 20, No. 9, pp. 569-579, 2003.09.
- Paper 2: Jae-Bok Song, Kyung-Seok Byun, Design and Control of a Four-Wheeled Omnidirectional Mobile Robot with Steerable Omnidirectional Wheels, Journal of Robotic Systems, Wiley Europe, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 193-208, 2004.04
- Paper 3: 송재복, 김정근, 조향 가능한 전방향 바퀴를 갖는 전방향 이동로봇의 에너지 효율 개선, 제어자동화시스템공학회 논문지, Vol. 11, No. 8, pp. , 2005.08
- Research Background
- Bi-directional mobile robot can not move sideways(ex, automobiles parking).
- OMRs are capable of arbitrary motion in an arbitrary direction without changing the direction of its body(holonomic).
- Research Objectives
- Omnidirectional wheel - CAW(Continuous alternate wheel).
- Omnidirectional mobile robot with variable wheel arrangement mechanism.
- Motion control systems and algorithm.
- Steering algorithm based on a CVT for increasing energy efficiency.
- Continuous Alternate Wheel; CAW)
- Reduced gap between passive rollers for continuous contact and reducing vibration.
- Large radius of a passive roller to improving height of sumountable bump.
<Continuous Alternate Wheel; (a) photo and (b) active and passive rolling of CAW>
- Variable Wheel Arrangement Mechanism
- Independent wheel velocity control.
- Redundant DOF can be used as CVT.
<Variable Wheel Arrangement Mechanism> <Synchronous steering of wheels>
- Realtime transformation between omnidirectional and bidirectional mode
- Capable of realtime transformation between omnidirectional and bidirectional mode.
- More energy efficient.
- passive roller brake mechanism in bidirectional mode.
(a) Disassembled appearance of CAW with brake module. (b) Passive roller brake mechanism.
- System configuration of OMR-SOW
- Payload: 100kg.
- 4 DC Motors(150W).
- Master controller: TMS320F2812, Motor controller : TMS320F2812
- Communication: Ethernet, CAN and Bluetooth.
System configuration of OMR-SOW.