If you are interested in studying at IRL, you may apply for admission. Each year, there are two opportunities for students to apply, leading into the spring and fall semesters. You can apply to the graduate school of mechanical engineering or mechatronics. For more information about the mechatronics program, please refer to the mechatronics section below. The two programs are essentially the same. However, if your major is not mechanical engineering, it is recommended to apply to the mechatronics program. Also, if you are pursuing a Ph.D. degree, you may apply for the integrated Master’s & Doctorial program. This course provides a number of benefits, and you can receive your degree in a shorter period of time.
For more information about the admission, please visit: http://graduate2.korea.ac.kr/main/main.jsp
We are open!
Interested in IRL? Thinking about entering the graduate school? You are more than welcome to email or visit us at any time. We will give you counseling, along with a brief tour of the lab.
All members receive funding provided by the department of mechanical engineering
- Master’s students are required to work as a TA (Teaching Assistance) for two semesters, and are given funding, which covers about 50 % of the tuition.
- Doctoral students are required to work as a TA for four semesters, and are given funding, which covers about 75% of the tuition.
- Those enrolled in the Integrated Master’s & Doctorial program are given funding identical to Master’s course for their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th semesters. After that, they get the same benefits as other doctoral students.
Furthermore, our lab will provide many incentive opportunities. Overall, the funding provided at IRL is among the best in Korea.
As can be seen from its name, mechatronics is the combination of mechanical and electrical engineering. It aims to develop more intelligent and advanced systems. Korea University’s mechatronics program was founded in 1995, and is run by 8 professors. Mechatronics does not have its own departments or office. The students enrolled in the mechatronics program will be assigned to the lab directed by their advisor to conduct research and take courses.
Notes on Mechatronics Program
Following are few things to note for those of who want to enter IRL majoring in mechatronics:
- Beware that your graduate certificate will indicate that you’ve graduated from the department of mechatronics, not from mechanical engineering. This may affect your future career choice, and it is recommended to think it over before you apply.
- If you choose to enter the graduate school of mechanical engineering, and you majored in a program other than mechanical engineering, you may have to take additional courses. This may even delay your graduation. However, the mechatronics program does not require you to take any additional courses, which can be beneficial.
- Although students in the mechatronics program work as TAs, their workload is light, and their funding is half of what the students in mechanical engineering receive. Other than this, the funding is the same for students in mechanical engineering and mechatronics.
- 석사과정: 2, 3학기 두 학기 동안 과목조교로 근무하며, 대략 등록금의 50% 정도에 해당하는 조교장학금이 두 학기 동안 지급된다.
- 박사과정: 과목을 수강하는(즉, 등록금을 내야 하는) 4학기 동안 과목조교로 근무하며, 대략 등록금의 75% 정도에 해당하는 조교장학금이 지급된다.
- 석박사통합과정: 통합과정의 석사과정 2, 3, 4학기에는 상기 석사과정과 동일한 조교장학금이, 통합과정의 박사과정에서는 상기 박사과정과 동일한 조교장학금이 지급된다.
- 졸업장에는 기계공학과가 아닌 메카트로닉스 학과를 졸업한 것으로 기록된다. 기계공학 전공보다는 메카트로닉스 전공이 취업이나 장래에 더 유리하다고 판단하는 경우에는 협동과정을 선택하는 것이 바람직하다.
- 학부나 석사과정에서 기계공학을 전공하지 않은 타전공 학생이 메카트로닉스를 전공하기 위하여 본 연구실에 일반대학원으로 진학하는 경우에는, 기계공학과의 기본과목들을 선수과목으로 수강하여야 하며, 이 경우에는 졸업에 한 학기 정도 더 소요될 수 있다. 그러나 메카트로닉스 협동과정은 이러한 선수과목을 요구하지 않으므로 메카트로닉스와 관련된 과목만을 수강하고 추가 과목을 수강할 필요가 없다. 따라서 선수과목 수강으로 인한 졸업 지연의 문제는 발생하지 않는다.
- 메카트로닉스 과정의 경우 2, 3학기에 과목조교로 배정되지만, 특별한 조교 업무는 없으며, 받는 조교장학금의 액수는 일반대학원의 절반 정도에 해당한다. 조교장학금 액수가 작은 점을 제외하고는 연구실에서 지급되는 장학금 및 인건비 등은 일반대학원 석사와 동일하다.